Monday, 9 April 2012

Highstreet Gems

  


I'm currently in the middle of sorting through all the makeup out there so I can do a huge haul and equip myself with a good quality set of makeup (any recommendations, let me know!) I've decided to start completely over again, but, whilst I was umm-ing and ahh-ing over certain products I noticed there are a couple of items that I would swear by, that I never want to be without in my makeup bag!

Okay so the first is a definite favourite, I've swayed a fair few friends into using this before and they all love it too - and for a drug store product, what can I say? It's great! Max Factor's False Lash Effect Mascara has been in my makeup bag for a good couple of years, although I have tried others (Currently using Rimmel's Glam Eyes - good but not amazing) I have always stuck to False Lash Effect. I'm not claiming to be a beauty blogger here - don't get me wrong! But the brush itself is so good it picks up every lash and it's big enough to coat your lashes with a good amount of mascara for an increase in volume, but as the combs on it are plastic they are sturdy enough to not stick together resulting in less clumps. You really do end up with darkened, lengthened and volumised lashes. Obviously they aren't as effective as actually wearing false lashes, but they're as close to it as I think you can get! I definitely recommend buying some and seeing for yourself!

Second is the first of two foundations; Rimmel's Wake Me Up foundation is the newer of the two and a definite must have if you want a less costly fix of foundation! Although no drugstore foundation will give you the same quality as more higher end brands like Chanel or Este Lauder - these are good alternatives. The Wake Me Up product has a good consistency that will provide medium to high coverage, it covered up all of my blemishes and I found it easy to layer. If I was seeing my boyfriend in the day or nipping to  the shop down the road then a light layering is doable without looking too bare faced. If I was going into town shopping or out at night then I tend to add more, probably an extra pumps worth and this makes it more durable and last longer. The reason it's different is because it has a substance within it that glitters/shimmers, making your face look fresher more 'woken up' It adds brightness which is something I think a lot of foundations lack. Bare in mind that you won't look like a disco ball, when applied the brightening is subtle but definitely gives it an extra edge over other drugstore products.

Third is the 25 Hour foundation from Rimmel, I think this product is really good! It provides great coverage over the dark patches of skin I get under my eyes when tired, and over and spots or blemishes too. It too can be layered for thickness, I find that it covers my pores and imperfections as if they have been blurred out when just the right amount has been applied.The range of shades isn't too extensive but I find my skin colour hard to pick for because I tan quite easily. In winter I wear Ivory, and if I'm tanned then I go a couple of shades up. I used this before Wake Me Up came out and I think I will continue to have it in my bag as an alternative drugstore choice! None of these products are new and you've probably heard of them or use them, I may even be stating the obvious in this post but these are my experiences and my favourites.

I have yet to find my instinctive go-tos' in blush and other eye makeup so if you have any recommendations let me know! I love how experimental makeup can be, I'm definitely turning into a cosmetics whore so expect more in the future!
xxx

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love both foundations, good choices! xx
    ----------------------------------------------------
    http://obsessedaboutbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog, I'm following now :) Feel free to check out mine!

    Laura x
    Petit Chatons

    ReplyDelete