Thursday, 7 February 2013

Benefit's They're Real Mascara










Be prepared for a raving review here... I've got a lot of love for Benefit, I think so many of their products are of really nice quality but I think this may be the best thing I've tried from them - well a tie with all of their blushes! I've been meaning to post this for ages, when I had better pictures to share but these will do. I don't have great eyelashes so hopefully them looking half decent shows the difference this makes!

This mascara does it all; volumises, lengthens, holds a curl, separates - the list ticks off everything you want really! It fans your lashes out too which basically makes your eyelashes look so full and and long and thick and fluttery. I can't praise it enough. I didn't expect to like this mascara as much as I do, and definitely didn't want to sound like a gushing looney on my blog but you can't deny a brand praise when they get something spot on, can you?

Like I said, I didn't expect to really love this mascara. Benefit's 'Bad Gal' mascara is honestly one of the worst mascaras I've tried, a massive let down. There was no product pay off, it was a bit flakey and the brush is a nightmare - way too bushy for easy application. But 'They're Real' is it's younger, nicer sister, who frankly just steals the show.

The formula of 'They're Real' is quite wet, which allows you to build up the mascara nicely. However it dries quite quickly too which is obviously a massive plus as you're not waiting around to do something else for fear of smudging. The bristles are plastic and more structured which means it's easier to structure you lashes, fan them out and steer clear of clumps. I must admit I am terrible at applying mascara, I have small eyes so when the brushes are giant it just becomes a chore and seems waste having to wipe off all the product I've managed to get around my peepers - sigh! But this wand isn't too intimidating, and I can work with it really well. If you look at the end of the wand you can see it's rounded and has smaller bristles there too - these are perfect for the lashes on either end of your eyelid. You can really get to the shorter, finer ones in the inner corners of your eye, and also reach the longer ones on the outer corners and fan them outwards to open and elongate your eye shape.

I don't think 'They're Real' is waterproof, I need to find that out, but Benefit describe it as 'long wearing' which I can confirm it definitely is! It doesn't smudge throughout the entire time you wear it which is brilliant - it's a definite trooper on nights out. I personally don't have particularly oily eyelids anyway - so mascaras don't tend to smudge on me - but I do get watery eyes (all the goddam time!) and it doesn't budge at all. It's also the perfect shade of jet black, and the colour doesn't fade, or the formula go flakey. So many good points about this mascara - no wonder it's the UK's best selling!

I love the packaging too, true to Benefit style it's cute, girly, humorous and quirky. It's not too over the top like the packaging of other products and even if you don't think that the vibe that Benefit give off is particularly 'you'- it's nice to own something a little different in comparison to Nars, Mac or Chanel packaging that is just so chic and sophisticated - Benefit has a little more 'life' to their brand I think! It's easy to get foundation smears and fingerprint marks on this tube, but it's nothing that can't easily be fixed so it wins points in the cleanliness department too.

My only gripe about They're Real, is that it's so brilliantly long lasting that it's a bit of a pain to get off. Not even my Cleanse & Polish can get rid of this so I need to possibly find an oil based eye makeup remover that will tackle this. For that reason I don't wear it on days when I can't be bothered with the chore of removing it (lazy) but that doesn't mean I don't love wearing it. I've heard that this mascara also dries out quite quickly, I haven't noticed anything as of yet but that's something I'm going to keep an eye out for.

For a high end mascara, I was sceptical as so many can turn out to not be worth the price tag, but it has turned out to be worth the money (especially with the amount of Boots points I got back - it was a triple points day!) at £18.50 it's double what I'd usually pay  but for a high end brand it's what you should expect. I'd definitely recommend you try out this mascara if you're tempted to try out something a little more premium. I was reassured by the fact that it is so popular in the UK, if so many people love it then it must be a good'n to try right? Usually I don't like to pay too much for mascara and stick to the good old faithful maybelline mascaras for an every day cheap option but for a little treat this is definitely worth it and could possibly even make it to the repurchase list!


Have you ever tried They're Real? What are your thoughts on high end mascaras?

Emma xx

No comments:

Post a Comment